Popular Posts


Sunday 6 December 2009

A game of Chicken or Dare...

I had an interesting run in today with a dog in our village that is well known for being out of it’s yard and out of control with no owners in sight.

It’s a little beagle / basset cross female who has, in the past hurtled across one of the village green areas from outside it’s house and aggressed at dogs passing by.

I’ve already had a ‘run-in’ with the owner in the past; a delightful woman who behaved much like her dog except the effect was much muted by the fact she was dressed in her pyjamas and dressing gown at 1pm in the afternoon…

Well this poor little dog was again out this afternoon as I took my two for their run up in the fields.  We spotted each other from a distance and, predictable as clockwork, she came hurtling around the corner, hackles upright and ready for action.

What she hadn’t expected was that I was standing there waiting for her.

With my (onlead) dogs BEHIND me (so they understood that I was dealing with this, not them,) I stood full square, pointed at her, glared and calmly growled “DON’T”…

I wish I’d had a video because she skidded to a halt, her tail went so far under her legs that it could have tickled her chin and she immediately dropped to the floor, turned quietly away and skulked back off around the corner.

Round one to me…

 

About an hour later I wondered if we would have a repeat performance on our way back from the fields.

As I approached ‘her’ territory I looked across and saw her sitting outside her gate, I presume still waiting for someone to let her into her yard (it was by now raining… poor soul). 

She looked at me.

I looked at her.

I raised one finger and glared at her.

She looked away calmly and stayed where she was.

 

Round two and the match to me…